2009年7月26日 星期日

English Service

The reasons I went to that church are very simple, to practice my English comprehension and try to meet some English speakers. My new language exchange partner told me that there are English services so I wanted to give it a try. Also the interior of Grace Baptist Church is very beautiful and splendid, and one feels soothed just by sitting in there.

The interpreter at the bilingual service was amazing. She spoke so fluent and beautiful English that I would like to be as skillful as her in the future. I prefered her English to the pastor's Chinese because he mumbled so much that I could hardly understand him. The central gist of the first sermon was that we are saved not by our good deeds and hard work but by the grace of God. I felt so touched because that message was similar to what I had heard this morning.

The second service was held in the basement. The worship part was mostly pop-music like about being a disciple of Jesus instead of a bench-warmer. The pastor spoke in a passionate tone but I felt quite uneasy in terms of the way he put it. To be a Christian one really should work very hard.

沒有留言: